Jordana Sarrell, Esq., LL.M.
Back to Blog
The new tax bill affects homeowners in several ways. Here are some of the highlights of how the tax bill can affect a homeowners. Feel free to contact the attorneys at SSB Law to answer any more questions you may have.
* Eliminates home equity deduction; interest home equity lines of credit will no longer be deductible whereas interest was deductible on equity lines up to $100,000.
* Reduces mortgage interest deduction limit to $750,000. While the deduction limit pertaining to mortgage interest drops to $750,000 of debt on your primary residence, it remains $1 million for homes purchased before Dec. 15 of this 2017.
* Retains current law treatment of capital gains from home sales.
* Doubles the standard deduction. The new law increases the standard deduction to $12,000 for single The new law increases the standard deduction to $12,000 for single filers and $24,000 for joint filers. filers and $24,000 for joint filers.
* Limits deduction for state and local income tax, real property tax, and sales tax (in the aggregate) to a maximum amount of $10,000. This only affects Floridians for our property taxes since we do not have state income tax.
* Does not reinstate the deduction for mortgage insurance premiums